The Papyrus scripting language of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is somewhat notorious in the game’s large community of third-party mod developers and users for performance-related issues (though there are also plenty of misconceptions, and it’s not necessarily as bad as many people think). There are already many relat...
I am a researcher in the field of Artificial Intelligence (AI); currently a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Department of Advanced Computing Sciences of Maastricht University.
Outside of AI research, I am also interested in programming languages (pros and cons of different languages), optimising software (reading things like “What Every Programmer Should Know About Memory”), gaming, and esports.
Main Professional Interests
- Reinforcement Learning
- Search algorithms (especially, but not limited to, adversarial search)
- AI in games
- Game Description Languages (and other languages for describing problems/tasks for AI)
- Optimising code
- Open Source
- April 2023 - Now: Postdoctoral Researcher at Maastricht University.
- Oct 2018 - April 2023: PhD candidate at Maastricht University (Digital Ludeme Project).
- Sep 2020 - Dec 2020: Research intern at Facebook AI Research.
- Oct 2016 - Oct 2018: PhD candidate at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (joined the C-Cure project midway).
- Mar 2013 - Oct 2013: Programmer at CodePoKE.
- 2014 - 2016: M.Sc. Artificial Intelligence, Maastricht University. Graduated Summa Cum Laude.
- 2011 - 2014: B.Sc. Knowledge Engineering, Maastricht University.
Ludii is a new general game-playing (GGP) system, of which an early pre-release version has been published today. The system comes with a wide range of built-in games, and may be interesting for game-playing enthusiasts to simply play games! Ludii’s new game description language tends to lead to game descriptions th...
This post provides an informal description of my MaastCTS2 agent for General Video Game Playing. It participated in the Single-Player and Two-Player tracks of the GVG-AI Competition in 2016. The results can be found here. MaastCTS2 ended up winning the Single-Player track, and was the runner-up in the Two-Player tra...